Chapters

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Lammas

Independence Day came and went, and was surprisingly quiet. There were a few cracks and booms in the surrounding area, but I'm guessing the redneck neighbors up the road didn't have the money to go buy out the fireworks store like they seemed to have done on new year's. 

I went out a couple weeks ago after a storm, to snap some snaps of the departing clouds, and found a wee one came to dance in the rain as well.
In a couple of days is Lammas, or "Lughnasadh" as some of the pagan persuasion like to call it. It marks the beginning of the harvest season, specifically of the grainery kind of stuff. Since Tuesday, I have lit a tealight candle for my lantern on the dresser, before bed, in preparation of a "harvest" of my own. The first night it seemed to be working; I was getting communications I wasn't expecting. Since then, however, progress has been mixed as there is some sort of distraction or wavering in the communication. No matter; I will try again this evening. 

For those who were keeping up on the other blog, you may remember I attended a shindig up in Pennsylvania last labor day weekend. It it being held again this year, and I suppose I ought to make the pilgrimage again this year. Now that I have some inkling, I can make adjustments to this and that and perhaps travel lighter (sleep in the car, for example, and I'd need neither tent nor sleeping bag). The question remains, however, what I expect to find, and if it will feel different than last year. Or will I still feel like a tiny fish swimming in a large pond. Only time will tell.

I decided yesterday that Old Man needed some sort of decoration. Old Man is my nickname for the huge white oak that overlooks the trailer. I suppose he was asking me for a sort of altar... which will be tricky for two reasons: one, I'm not sure the tree is on our property (the property line is very close to the edge of the back yard), and two, it can't be an obvious altar as it'd be visible to people driving or walking up to the back of the house (not in plain view, but look in the right direction and you see it). I have contented myself with stacking several flat rocks taken from the creek, with a small, almost pyramid-shaped one on top (which is weighting down a crow's feather that I found yesterday while foraging in the woods). It will have to do till my inspiration hits again.


I have met several new animal friends this season. In addition to the turtle, I also met granddaddy black snake. He was down by the power transformer box, and once I got over my startlement, I said, "Hello beautiful!". He flicked his tongue out at me and slithered off into the woods. I've also made the acquaintance of several praying mantises, and a toad or two, and several "millies". And I have been "buzzed" a couple of times by a hummingbird. A whole menagerie!  

Aye,
Scratch

   


No comments:

Post a Comment