Chapters

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Lughnasadh

Today is the first day of August. Some folks refer to this as "Lughnasadh", or if you prefer, Lammas. It's time to start bringing in the grain, and when you make breads and things to celebrate the grain harvest.

It's also a time to focus on what you have done right the past year. I had to think a bit, as my life hasn't changed a whole lot. But I did manage a few things that I am happy with;

I have managed to grow a shit ton of hot peppers, and more are still growing. Aren't they pretty? I plan on making relish soon. I even managed to grow enough that I can even dry a few, the pointy ones especially. The orange ones are supposedly a variety of cayenne called "Carnival", and are supposed to be different colors besides the usual red. But all mine turned orange. Still pretty, so I am not really complaining. This isn't even to account the peppers that are still growing on the vine, I have two whole plants of habaneros that haven't ripened to yellow yet.
They're loaded down, so when they start changing, I am going to have them almost coming out of my ears!

I have also got quite a bit of herbs dried over the summer. So much, that I was happy to share them with a couple of people I do volunteer work with. I am hoping to get a little bit more dried over the next month or so.

I also managed to somehow make a new friend from far away, who came all the way to NC to see me. I was a bit surprised. But I enjoyed the visit immensely and plan on returning the favor next spring. It will be the furthest I have ever been from home, so there is a bit of preparation involved, physically, mentally, spiritually. I never do things on impulse, else I would be out there already. There is a possibility I may end out there on a more permanent basis if I like the place and can find work.

Stay tuned on that one.

On another note, I was surprised to see how many folks have joined me here, in my little corner of the world/ Whether you happened on this site randomly, clicked on another link out of curiosity, or you knew I was here all along, welcome. I have lit a yellow candle for Lughnasadh, and in thanks for you, my new friends in badhairland.


Aye,
Kraneia

No comments:

Post a Comment